Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Year In Review - Just the Facts


I am reflecting on the past year, I can't help but think how much my life has changed. I am not talking about just the cochlear implants or the blog or the new work assignment or even the new house. When I look into the mirror I see a different person. Not the same old Valerie, not even the new Valerie. I see a person full of something that I have never had before - self-confidence. Yup that old self-esteem and self-worth that my parents worked so hard to develop, but always lacked. How did it magically appear! Bam....bam...here it is. No not that way, it showed up August 8, 2007 with a simple push of the button, live from Nashville...Vanderbilt Medical Center, here is Valerie.......The activation gave an opportunity to finally say "I'm deaf" and you know what I'm okay with it. I accept me. I accept this wonderful device that allows access to sound. I accept its limits as well as it opportunities.


One of the wonderful bloggers, David, at Five String Guitar, had his third Cochlear implant surgery. The doctors wanted to go in and replace his CI. I send all my prayers and smiles his way. He is a fantastic inspiration to all. He is so blessed. May this one be the magic charm and give him the opportunity to be bilateral.


I have been so far behind in my blog reading. I want to redesign my blog and include all my favorites. There are too many to list. I also want to post more often. I have so much to say. So I need to snap out of this pre-fall mood and get with it. Life is too short to sit around and do nothing. There is a whole world to explore. I'm on my way........

7 comments:

David said...

You are a wonderful friend to have!
Thank you!

Valerie said...

Thanks and the best of fortune to you. I have happy thoughts.

Jennifer said...

I'm in a poky blogging mood lately myself. I need to get with the program as well! I don't even have a header anymore...how pitiful is that?
A year can make a huge difference, can't it?

Valerie said...

Oh yes, just thinking of how much we have overcome to even get to this point. We got to get that blogging up to date. I guess there ae so many wonderful blogs I like to read, there is just not enough time in the day.

Anonymous said...

You're always so upbeat! I love reading your blog and look forward to more posts. I agree that acceptance of inability to hear is more than half the battle. Once we accept that reality, we can reframe every situation. Rather than expecting to hear, we can learn to have a good time without hearing perfectly and get on with our lives. :-)

Valerie said...

Kim,
You are so right. You word everything so well. I love reading your blog as well.
Valerie

Abbie said...

I can't believe it is a year already! I need to get out of my funk too :)