Sunday, April 27, 2008

Technology - How did we survive before them?


On our recent trip to Nashville for Jenna's dance competition, a voice boomed out in the quiet car. Turn right now! Travel 4.5 miles on I24 to exit 24. What sound, what memory, what accurate directions.....What in the world did I do without a GPS!

I wondered how I made it 2, 5 or 10 years ago with some of the current technology that I have surrounded my life with. When did a GPS replace map quest or the pull out map? How did I cook dinner without a microwave? That electric toothbrush really cleans. The joy of itouch with music and Internet at the touch of a finger. Even my laptop with WiFi, so I can sit in the living room watching digital television while doing lesson plans. Don't even get me started on e-mail!
Some technology I choose to keep out of the house, not much some. I can't even think of what but there has to be something with technology that I don't use.
I struggle with the question, did I allow myself to be enslaved with technology advances or did I allow technology to decutter and simplify my life. I choose to think that some technology allow life to be enriched. I cherish the Internet and my blogging community. Without it I would be full of cochlear implant questions and no one to answer them. My GPS takes the frustration out of driving and I feel safer driving distances. The microwave allows the family to eat together quickly since we have very busy lives. My itouch allows me to enjoy music after 20 years of musical silences. And yes, finally my cochlear implants give the rich sounds, voices and peace fullness that hearing aids could not give me.
So as I sit on my computer, listening to music, enjoying my implants and texting my friend, I hope the next 5 years give technology as great as today. I really need an automatic laundry folder.



9 comments:

Unknown said...

GPS I want one of those. I don't have it yet.

Kim said...

I don't have GPS and I've gotten lost twice in the past week. My family calls me the A.D.D. driver. That should give y'all a clue what part of the problem is. I get distracted. I honestly HATE driving. It's boring. I am not a bad driver though. But I get lost a lot. A GPS would help!

Kim

Anonymous said...

automatic laundry folder? I definitely need one! and diaper changing Robo too if I ever have a kid.

I remember this programmed vacuum...small round thing that would vacuum for us few years ago, apparently I don't see it around.

Interesting to see what we'll have ten years from now.

Valerie said...

The GPS is the easiest tech to use. I was so much against getting it. Now I can't live without it. I put in the address and push go, it tells me the distance, time of arriving, and the best way to go.

Kim you have to get one!

Lane,
Wish I had a diaper changing thing too. Yuck the diapers. Thank goodness done with that part of life.

Jennifer said...

I NEEEEEEEEEEED a GPS....I love wandering around seeing new places but here lately get lost a lot. That's OK....I just get more exploring done that way! :)
The picture's so cute...you have a beautiful family! :)
Next time you come to Nashville...CALL ME! Now that I'm taking the summer off from work, we need to get together! :)

Abbie said...

I love GPS, I am on my second one :) When I had my first gps, I could never hear it. I only got it for the pictures :) I happen to feel that we are in noway enslaved by technology but I certainly embrace it.

I'm glad you had a great time! She looks adorable!

VBnBama said...

Gage has one of those necklaces he is wearing in the photo. I'll most likely never have a GPS...I stay close to home and I know which barn to turn by or which chicken house lets me know I've gone too far! haha...but now ci's, we own six! even though we can only use three at a time...for those who don't know, I have a girl in bilaterals and a son wearing only one. (as if you'd think I had three ears)
p.s. hope your tea was good!(grin)

Alex said...

Oh Man I used the GPS religiously when I had to drive with a friend from Chicago to NYC two weeks ago!

Funny thing was my friend who is hearing would repeat what the GPS said when it spoke or tap on me to alert me to look at the GPS for an upcoming change in the route.

Technology has definetly helped me quite a bit, some of my best friends I have met were online or through technology.

Great Blog, always something to think about!

Alex

Anonymous said...

MY GPS is such a nag, but gets me where I need to be -- I'm hopeless with directions.

Oh, that photo is adorable, what a great smile !!!