Sunday, July 20, 2008

Happy One Year Anniversary to My CIs!

This is a quick posting, I am down in the deep south visiting my parents. My dad(Poppi) has been in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks. They sent him home on Friday, but he is so jaundice and his live is failing that his toes are yellow. As I watch my biggest supporter slip away, I am reminded that it has been one year since I had bilateral cochlear implants.

As I watch my dad become the shadow of himself, he reminds me to enjoy my life. He came into my life at the age of 18. No one has ever loved my mother the way he has. There love is a real love story. So thank you dad for showing that the best dads are not always the first ones. Most importantly thank you dad for accepting my deafness and me without question. Love you Poppi get well.

Now onto the cochlear implants, it has gone beyond my expectations. Thank you Dr. Ladabie, Susan, Vanderbilt, and Advanced Bionics for this overwhelming second half of my life. I really feel so complete. I get to hear my daughter talk and keep doing my wonderful career. I wish I would have done it 20 years ago. With tears in my eyes, as I think of the past year, a rebirth.

As I watch one life slip away, it is important to make each day count. Tell your family and friends you love them, show them, make those changes, it can be too late. Do let life slip past without living it.

8 comments:

David said...

Such a nice post.
Happy one year!

Abbie said...

Happy anniversary my dear! Could you imagine just one year ago you were sitting there adorning your funny shaped bra? :)

Your dad is in my thought and with that I appreciate your words of wisdom, live every day to the fullest.

Anonymous said...

One year seems only like a week, doesn't it? I've had mine almost two years now but feels like it's only been a month.

Every dads and moms are precious to everyone. Hope your dad gets better soon or stays well for a long time.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your ears! It's hard to believe that it has been a year already!

Your dad will be in my thoughts.

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary! Hasn't it been an incredible year though???
I'm so sorry about your dad...I've been thinking of you a lot this weekend!! ((hugs))

Kim said...

Happy Birthday to your ears. Isn't it just awesome to be able to hear and enjoy life.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you with the challenges of your dad. Know that we are thinking of you

Kim

Shari said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Wow. A one year CI-versary? That is great. Technology is wonderful.

BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your dad and will add him to my prayers. Congrats to you on your hearing anniversary!